Sunday, October 5, 2014

Correction without Punishment

Holding the reins tight doesn't have to be all about punishment. 

 It can be, but it doesn't have to be. 

 Sometimes it is just about attention, that he notices something I do and tells me it needs to be done differently.  For example, last night during our ritual (not a nightly thing, but an as often as he feels like it ritual, which is generally once every few days) when he got to the part where he tells me how I could have served him better,  he said I should have known to make sausages or bacon with the biscuits because he always wants a breakfast meat with the biscuits.   I had been waiting for him to tell me each time, or asking, but yesterday I didn't.   By the time he said he wanted them, it was too late to have everything done at the same time.  The biscuits were already done.   I made bacon and sausage, but it was 10 or 15 minutes later.   To him, it was not worth a punishment, but it was worth noting and telling me how I could do better.   

I really feel like this amount of structure and discipline is comforting to me.   I love the days when in his eyes there is nothing I could have done better and he tells me I'm wonderful, but if there weren't also days where I could use improvement I think the former wouldn't be meaningful.




No comments:

Post a Comment

. You Never Know When They Will Catch Up To You

  I just made what would have been a hilarious joke on social media, if only the one other person who would get it would have been around to...